We are hiring an experienced Associate for our New York office. Associates primarily conduct research and analysis through desktop and database research, interviews, and traveling when necessary. Associates work within a project team to formulate the best advice for our clients, prepare written reports, and conduct client briefings.
In addition to research responsibilities, you will be expected to handle simple case management with minimal supervision and more complex research under the guidance of a more experienced analyst. You will also participate in project scoping, business development, and marketing activities. You will regularly collaborate with colleagues in Washington DC and Blackpeak’s Asia offices.
This position will expose you to a wide variety of research projects across a range of industries and jurisdictions. No two Blackpeak projects are exactly the same. Certain projects will require you to intelligently and efficiently assess the accuracy, reliability, and relevance of large amounts of data. For other projects, you will be asked to think creatively to devise a research methodology that best answers our client’s questions. Critical thinking, wide-ranging curiosity, and outstanding writing skills are fundamental to the role.
Skills and Experience
The following traits, experience, and competencies are relevant to the position:
- Intellectual curiosity and research tenacity. Must love digging deep to answer a question, solve a puzzle, or understand a thorny problem.
- 1–2 years of prior related experience preferred
- Discretion, good judgment, and the ability to maintain client confidentiality
- US citizen or permanent resident, in order to comply with New York state regulations
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of, and preferably expertise in, searching US databases and public records, including local court records
- Ability to identify and effectively interview sources
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Many educational backgrounds are potentially relevant, including journalism, English, international relations, history, accounting, business, and others
- Ability to help generate marketing and brand-building materials, such as marketing collateral, thought pieces, op-eds, etc.
- Willingness to take on with good humor the varied tasks required in a small, start-up office environment, including administrative support
- Familiarity with basic business concepts is helpful (e.g. balance sheets, basic accounting, the functioning of capital markets, etc.)
- Regional expertise and/or language capability is considered a strong plus.
If you meet the above qualifications, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
In your cover letter, please tell us more about yourself beyond what we can learn from your resume. In addition to introducing yourself, please also tell us about a time you showed research tenacity. What was the question, why was it important to you, and how did you go about seeking the answer? Please keep your response to a page or less.
A competitive salary and benefits will be offered.
All information and materials submitted to Blackpeak will remain strictly confidential and be treated for recruitment purposes only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.