We are hiring for an Associate or Senior Associate-level position working on Japan-focused qualitative and investigative research projects, primarily for hedge fund and investor clients.
The Associate or Senior Associate will be expected to find, absorb, cross-check, organize, and distil large amounts of information in both Japanese and English from research databases, financial reports, corporate filings, media reports, and academic research, among other sources. The role will also involve identifying and interviewing sources, prepare written reports, and conduct client briefings.
In doing this work, the Associate or Senior Associate will work under the supervision of members of Blackpeak senior management as an integral part of the Japan and Asia team. The position offers an excellent opportunity to learn about business, investment, and politics in Japan and Asia, and the chance to interact with a wide range of sophisticated and interesting clients.
Skills and Experience
- University-level education, ideally in the humanities, politics, economics, or journalism
- Full professional proficiency in Japanese and strong English reading, writing, and speaking skills
- 1-4 years of relevant work experience in journalism, analysis, or consulting, ideally in a role that involved writing or contributing to analytical or research reports
- Basic financial literacy will help, and at least some knowledge of Japan’s broader political and economic system is essential
- To be inquisitive, detail-oriented, and rigorous by nature
- Have the confidence to identify interviewees and conduct interviews
- Be able to meet deadlines, prioritize workload and multi-task under pressure
- To be able to work as a part of a multinational team across Blackpeak’s eight offices worldwide, and willing to travel in Japan and Asia more broadly as required
A competitive salary and benefits will be offered. All information and materials submitted to Blackpeak will remain strictly confidential and be treated for recruitment purposes only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
If your qualifications, experience and aspirations match our requirements, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.