We are hiring an Associate (entry-level position) for our Washington DC office. Associates primarily conduct research and analysis through desktop and database research, interviews, and traveling where necessary. Associates work within a project team to formulate the best advice for our clients, prepare written reports, and conduct client briefings.
This position will expose you to a wide variety of research projects across a range of industries and jurisdictions. No two Blackpeak projects are exactly the same. Certain projects will require you to intelligently and efficiently assess the accuracy, reliability, and relevance of large amounts of data. For other projects, you will be asked to think creatively to devise a research methodology that best answers our client’s questions. Critical thinking, wide-ranging curiosity, and outstanding writing skills are fundamental to the role.
You will be joining our newest office and be at the ground floor as we build up our research competencies in the US and Latin America. In addition to your primary investigative and research work, you will need be a “utility player” providing support on a range of tasks. A given day may include some business development outreach, administrative support, or generating thought pieces and marketing materials. As part of Blackpeak’s Washington DC office, you will also regularly collaborate with colleagues in New York and Blackpeak’s Asia offices.
Skills and Expertise
The following traits, experience, and competencies are relevant to the position:
- Intellectual curiosity and research tenacity. Must love digging deep to answer a question, solve a puzzle, or understand a thorny problem
- Discretion, good judgment, and the ability to maintain client confidentiality
- Applicants must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the US (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status)
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of, and preferably expertise in, searching US databases and public records, including local court records
- Ability to identify and effectively interview sources
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Many educational backgrounds are potentially relevant, including journalism, English, international relations, history, accounting, business, and others
- Ability to help generate marketing and brand-building materials, such as marketing collateral, thought pieces, op-eds, etc.
- Willingness to take on with good humor the varied tasks required in a small, start-up office environment, including administrative support
- Familiarity with basic business concepts is helpful (e.g. balance sheets, basic accounting, the functioning of capital markets, etc.)
- Regional expertise and/or language capability is considered a strong plus, Particular consideration will be given to speakers of Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Mandarin.
If you meet the above qualifications, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
In your cover letter, please tell us more about yourself beyond what we can learn from your resume. In addition to introducing yourself, please also tell us about a time you showed “research tenacity.” What was the question, why was it important to you, and how did you go about seeking the answer? Please keep your response to a page or less.
A competitive salary and benefits will be offered.
All information and materials submitted to Blackpeak will remain strictly confidential and be treated for recruitment purposes only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.